Saturday, September 24, 2005

Viva México Cabrones!!

Troy and I just took a long weekend trip to Mexico City for his birthday, which is the same day as Mexican Independence Day. There was a big party at El Zocalo, which is a large square at the center of La Ciudad de Mexico, Destrito Federal (D.F.). It is the center of government for all of Mexico.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Mexicans came from all over the country to celebrate their independence. I have never seen so much pride in my life. It was a sea of green, white and red (verde, blanco y rojo). Like Troy said, the only time you see pride like that here is at Gay Pride.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I know Americans are proud too, but when I see a gathering full of American flags with everyone wearing red, white and blue, it's actually a little frightening.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Mexicans know that their government is corrupt, and that there are problems with their economy, so it's not their government or their power that is the source of their pride. It's simply a pride in the people that they are. It was an amazing sight, and the air was charged with an incredible feeling of oneness.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I am still processing this trip and I feel like there is so much to say, so I'm sure you'll be hearing more... You can check out all the pictures of our trip here and a short video of the celebration at Zocalo here. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment