Wednesday, August 19, 2009

my speech - MeccaOne - OneVoice '09 Seminar/Conference

Salaam alaykum…

I am so honored to be here with all of you… to hear the amazing speakers here tonight, not the least of which two of my favorite Imams, Imam Zaid Shakir and Imam Suhaib Webb. And to be here in a room full of people who live their beliefs every day… It truly is an honor...

I came to study Islam through unusual circumstances. I grew up in a small town where there were no Muslims that I knew of. I made it until I was in my 30’s before I even had one Muslim friend. The only things I knew in my life about Islam were the little bits that I got from the media, which I never quite believed, but whether they were true or not was just never in the forefront of my mind. It didn’t concern me personally, at least not until I began to hear people in close proximity to me express the same views of Islam that I’d heard in the media. Always an advocate, I began to see the need for Islam to have another voice combating the views fed to us by the mainstream media.

In the media we are only shown the most extreme facets of the Arab/Muslim world. I knew there had to be more to this story, but had no idea how to find the truth, no idea of even where to begin my search. When I came to SF State I saw an opportunity and decided to take some classes in the MEIS department, which is Mid-East Islamic Studies. Through my studies I can see clearly now that the glimpses into the Islam that the Western world sees are not representative of the true Islam. The media shows an Islam that is dangerous and frightening, oppressive of women, prone to suicide bombings and terrorist attacks. But this side of Islam is not the topic of my talk tonight.

For now I want to continue on with what I found Islam to be and what ideas were revealed to the Prophet Muhammed, peace be upon him. Everything I learned of the true Islam sparkled with beauty. It is such a humble and modest religion in so many ways, encompassing a movement full of true humanitarians. Muslims, at the root of their teachings, put others before themselves and are concerned primarily with doing right for themselves and others. This concept is beautiful to me, as it should be to any person.

I found through my studies that the Prophet was one of the first to give women true equal rights – giving them the rights of divorce and property 1300 years before women in the states were given these same rights. I also found that to dismiss Palestinians as terrorists shows not only a basic lack of understanding for the situation they’re in, but also a true lack of empathy. Any person would fight back in their situation, and fight for freedom considering the extent of the oppression they face every day.

Through my program I made many Muslim friends and was encouraged to observe Ramadan. I had no idea what Ramadan meant, but I could see the light in my Muslim friends’ eyes when they spoke of this time. I happily entered into the time of Ramadan, and though I was not perfect, I followed the rules closely. It was during this time that I discovered MeccaOne, again through friends. The piece on Ramadan – I’m sure you all remember it – The Fast of Ramadan and the Furious Shaitan – helped me so much to understand what this time was all about, and I’ve never forgotten it. Between Omair, Imam Shakir and Imam Webb, the meaning of Ramadan blossomed before me and I truly understood what it meant to observe this time.

To experience Ramadan first-hand brought feelings that I’d never felt before – such as the feeling of community I experienced during Iftar at my local mosque, and the feeling of peace and true spirituality that steps into our bodies, minds and spirits when we turn off our physical desires. I’ll never forget these feelings and, insha’Allah, I will have an even truer and purer Ramadan this year.

Since that moment, I have followed MeccaOne, listening as often as I can. Through this show I’ve experience so much of the beauty of Islam. MeccaOne highlights the best and brightest of Islam and showcases the positive works being done by Muslims all over the world and of all different ethnic backgrounds.

I think the thing I’ve been most impressed by is the devotion to learning that has defined Islam since its inception. Through the interviews with amazingly learned individuals on MeccaOne, through my Muslim friends, through all the online lectures I’ve been blessed to hear by such scholars as the Imams I’ve mentioned and Sheikh Hamza Yusuf, I have been awed by this commitment to learning. What’s more, it never ceases to amaze me that almost every question I’ve asked of Islam has been answered with a truth and clarity that can be felt all the way to the heart.

I went into my studies with an open mind, excited about the prospect of having stereotypes shattered – both ones I knew I held subconsciously and ones I had no idea that were even a part of me. I have decided to minor in MEIS and look forward to many more classes in which I will learn more about the rich and varied history and practices of Islam, insha’Allah.

This learning has been amazing for me and has truly enriched my soul. I thank everyone who has helped me on this journey and I thank all of you for honoring me with a moment of your time tonight.

MeccaOne Radio Show


me with sarah, omair's wife, and another speaker who listens to MeccaOne from england! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment